Town of Goshen - Vacancy Announcement
Assistant Town Clerk – Part Time
Position Title: Assistant Town Clerk / Assistant Registrar Vital Statistics
Hours of Work: 16 hours per week with some scheduling flexibility required
Pay Range: $17.32 per hour / non-union position
The Town of Goshen is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Town Clerk. This position is located in the Town Clerk’s Office of the COVID-cautious Town Hall. Cover letter, resume and completed applications must be received in the Town Clerk’s Office no later than April 1, 2021. Application forms may be obtained through our website at www.goshenct.gov under Forms and Documents / Job Opportunities; or in person at the Town Clerk’s office at 42 North Street, Goshen, CT 06756.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Assistant Town Clerk will provide varied administrative, technical and clerical support to the Town Clerk. Applicant must be willing to: 1) become a Notary Public, 2) take the necessary classes to sit for the State exam to become a Connecticut Certified Town Clerk within five years, 3) attend Town Meetings (evening) and take minutes of same in Town Clerk’s absence.
RESPONSIBILITIES: responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists in the administration and execution of the functions of the Town Clerk and Registrar of Vital Statistics as imposed by the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut and Town Ordinances under the direct supervision of the Town Clerk.
- Provides essential backup support for the Town Clerk, and assumes duties and responsibilities of the office in the absence of the Town Clerk.
- Records and indexes land records and generates daily/weekly/monthly reports. Prepares and scans land records for archival retention.
- Utilizes proprietary computer software (e.g., Kofile Town Fusion) to receive in and calculate recording fees and conveyance taxes for deed transfers, survey maps, trade name certificates and other recorded instruments.
- Assists title searchers, attorneys, genealogists and the public with specialized information applicable to the Town.
- Assists in voter registration and in preparation and issuance of absentee ballots and all other facets of general and special elections including primaries and referendum.
- Records and indexes all vital statistics: births, deaths, marriages as well as veterans’ discharge papers. Prepares monthly reports to the Department of Public Health.
- Issues and records marriage licenses, dog licenses and sports licenses including monthly reports.
- Prepares and records minutes of Town Meetings and receives files and retrieves minutes, agendas and legal notices of all boards and commissions.
- Administers oaths to elected and appointed officials.
- Notarizes documents, handles confidential correspondence.
- Assists with the administration of the Town’s website (e.g., upload documents, schedule meetings)
- Performs a wide variety of other administrative duties.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Candidate must: be skilled in computer usage with a solid knowledge base of Microsoft Word and EXCEL as well as knowledge of the internet; have excellent oral and written communication skills; be a self-starter with excellent organizational skills; have the ability to proofread documents with a high degree of accuracy; work with minimum supervision and establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff members and the public; have the ability to perform various customer service functions in a timely manner; have experience with various office equipment and be able to lift objects up to 30 pounds. Experience in law, real estate and/or municipal government is highly desirable.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Associates Degree plus two (2) years of related experience or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER