Recycling Information


Town of Goshen Recycling & Trash Guide


Single stream recycling is here!


Your residential recycling contractor is:

USA Hauling & Recycling
PHONE: (860) 379-1662
(Please call for bins & residential curbside recycling pickup issues)

It pays to recycle!

Our taxes pay for solid waste (garbage/trash) by the ton: therefore, when you recycle you are reducing the weight of your garbage, and saving money on taxes!

Recycle - it's good for the Town budget, perfect for the Earth, and it's the law!


I'm a resident, so how do I recycle & what do I do with trash?

The Town of Goshen does not have a transfer station, but offers free curbside recycling pickup and once monthly scrap metal & tire pickup. Place your recycling at the curb by 6:00 am on your recycling day (routes can be found here). Goshen participates in single stream recycling. You place all allowable items in one bin without sorting. It is required that you secure all newspapers, office paper, etc. because they will blow out of the bin. Even though no sorting is required, please clean all items before recycling. For hazardous household waste & electronics there are special regional collection days.

The Town pays for the weight of your weekly solid waste/garbage/trash if you use a Town permitted private hauler. The Town does not pay for the service of the hauler, or the weight of roll-off containers or temporary dumpsters. A list of permitted haulers is available on the Trash Haulers Listing page.


What do I do if I don’t have a bin? Do I own my bin? And what if I have too much recycling for one bin?

If you don’t have a Green or Blue Town of Goshen bin, please call (860) 379-1662 for a bin. Each household should have one bin, so if you move please leave it for the next owner.


What are other recycling options?

Goshen offers pickup of scrap metal & tires!

This service is offered on the first Friday of each month. To schedule a pickup, please call (860) 379-1662

Items that will be accepted include, but are not limited to:

  • Washers, dryers, air conditioners, stoves, hot water tanks
  • Dishwashers, tire rims, swing sets, lawn mowers (fluids removed)
  • Tires: automotive tires and tubes only (no tractor tires)
  • Refrigerators and freezers (must have doors removed)

Appliances containing Freon require a sticker from the Town Hall (Fiscal Office). Call (860) 491-2308 ext. 228 for more information on how to obtain a sticker.

In the spring and fall, the Town of Goshen participates in Regional Household Hazardous Waste Days & Electronics Recycling Days. Recycling of these items is required by the State of CT DEEP. Please see the Town of Goshen website for more information, including: items accepted, dates, registration info, and locations. On this website you will find other recycling events available to town residents (shredding events etc).


What items should be in my curbside bin?

Recycle these items in your bin:

  • Paper (newspaper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, envelopes)
    • Secure newspapers and office paper to keep them from being blown out of the recycling bin.
  • Clean cardboard and boxboard
  • Paper egg cartons
  • Paper bags
  • Office and school papers
  • Empty glass jars and bottles
  • Aluminum cans and clean foil
  • Empty tin and steel aerosol cans
  • All plastic containers labeled # 1 through # 7
  • Automobile batteries - (Place along side of pick-up bin)
  • Motor oil and antifreeze - (Residential only - separate labeled screw top 1 gal. container only)

Do not recycle these items in your bin:

  • Garbage
  • Plastic bags
  • Food waste
  • Food tainted items (used paper plates or boxes, paper towels or paper napkins)
  • Polystyrene or Styrofoam
  • Motor oil bottles
  • Hazardous chemical containers
  • Plastic toys or sporting goods
  • Electronics or batteries
  • CDs or DVDs
  • Foam egg cartons
  • Ice cream cartons
  • Light bulbs
  • Hangers
  • Yard waste or garden tools
  • Pots and pans
  • Phone books
  • Pizza boxes
  • Mirrors or window glass


Goshen is a mid-connecticut project town, and sends all recycling and solid waste (trash) to the Connecticut Resources Recovery Authority facility in Hartford. Solid waste (trash) is burned to create electricity - this is called trash-to-energy. To learn about trash-to-energy and what is happening to your recycling, go to the Material Inovation and Recycling Authority website by clicking here.