I pay my real estate taxes but the bill was not received the same time as my motor vehicle or personal property taxes. What should I do?

Your bill may have been inadvertently sent to your current mortgage company or your old one, or it may have been lost. You are still responsible for paying your bill on time. Therefore, call the office to request a copy of your bill immediately at (860) 491-3275 ext 226 or fax a request at (860) 491-6028.